California DOJ Facing Lawsuit Over Latest Restrictions on “Assault Weapons”

California DOJ facing lawsuit over "assault weapon" restrictions. Image Source: Breitbart News
California DOJ facing lawsuit over "assault weapon" restrictions. Image Source: Breitbart News

The Firearms Policy Coalition (FPC) released a statement last week criticizing the California Department of Justice (DOJ) for setting out new regulations on “assault weapons”. It claims that Attorney General Xavier Becerra and the California DOJ used “11th-hour tactics” to promote anti-gun legislation by slipping in the new regulations moments before a major national holiday.

The FPC made the legislation available at BulletButtonBan.com, which the coalition created last year for monitoring California’s assault weapon laws. The site allows citizens to submit written comments directly to the DOJ relating to the proposed regulations on firearms.

Sacramento’s Resources Building Auditorium will host a public hearing on these new regulations at 10 a.m. on January 8 next year. According to Ammoland Shooting Sports News, the DOJ actually made its first attempt to restrict assault weapons last December under the Office of Administrative Law (OAL) “File & Print” process, meaning the DOJ did not think the regulations were subject to public notice.

In spite of this, thousands of Second Amendment advocates wrote letters opposing the furtive activities, forcing the DOJ to withdraw its regulations toward the end of the OAL review period. The DOJ then re-submitted regulations under the same “File & Print” process, which were rejected just over a month later. The DOJ then submitted a near-identical set of regulations, which the OAL approved in July of this year.

The Department of Justice is now pushing a new regulation that will apply all of those approved in July to California’s assault weapons legislation, which includes for purposes of criminal prosecutions. Earlier this year, the FPC sued the California DOJ following its efforts to prevent access to public records as well as a previous version of the legislation.

On Thursday, attorneys for The Calguns Foundation (CGF), Second Amendment Foundation (SAF), Firearms Policy Coalition (FPC), Firearms Policy Foundation, as well as four individual gun owners filed a lawsuit and petition for writ of mandate challenging the myriad of new “assault weapon” regulations put forward by the California Department of Justice.

Plaintiff’s attorney George M. Lee told reporters that the lawsuit was intended to protect law-abiding citizens from illegal state regulatory actions.

By making and enforcing unlawful rules, and going around the rules to do it, the DOJ is putting tens if not hundreds of thousands of law-abiding people at risk of serious criminal liability,” he said. “This case seeks to make the DOJ follow the same laws they impose on others and protect law-abiding gun owners in the process.”

Tucker J.

Tucker is a foreign correspondent and media analyst for Not Liberal.

About the Author

Tucker J.
Tucker J.
Tucker is a foreign correspondent and media analyst for Not Liberal.

Be the first to comment on "California DOJ Facing Lawsuit Over Latest Restrictions on “Assault Weapons”"

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.


*